Tools

If you are an artist, what are your tools?

Do you adhere to the rules taught when you were working toward your MFA? Use this, this way, and never never use that at all?

Or does your assembly of tools include anything and just about everything? In my view of art as a creative force, creatively using any object or method to produce a piece of art is elemental to the process.

Recently, I have been enjoying an app on my iPhone called Hipstamatic. It uses the iPhone camera feature and applies a variety of effects to the final print. The app offers as variables, 8 lenses, 7 flash units, 13 film types and 5 cases (skins) for the camera. The cases have no effect on the prints but selecting any combination of the other three categories produces different results. The flash units seem to have the least dramatic effect and I do not use the flash very often, leaving that option off.

My favorite is a lens called Chunky. Chunky with any film produces soft subtle light streaks and leaks on the print. But I also enjoy the Salvador lens just as much. Salvador lens with the Salvador Dream Canvas film produces random effects including strange and wonderful multi exposures.

This is a selection of photos I took of the Eiffel Tower in Paris, Texas, "a good place to hang your hat."

Chunky Lens / Ina's 1969 Film
Chunky Lens / Pistil Film

Roboto Glitter Lens / Alfred Infrared Film
Jimmy Lens / BlacKeys SuperGrain Film
Salvadore Lens / Dreamcanvas Film
Here is a series of four I took of trees near my home.   
 
Chunky Lens / DreamCanvas

Salvador Lens / DreamCanvas
Salvador Lens / Cano Cafenol Film

Bettie XL Lens / Cano Cafenol Film




My tools are my iPhone, the App and when I want to stitch photos together PhotoShop.  This is pretty amazing for me since I am also a dedicated film photographer that uses antique and classic cameras (when I can get film that fits them) and the Holga toy camera.  

My objective it to create interesting visual art and any tool that helps me do that is in my tool bag. 

--

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is Analogue, or is it Analog?

Erbu

You Are Where You're At